Have you ever faced a situation when you wanted to recall something and it evaded you again and again?
Even though you had read it thoroughly but you face issues while recalling it. Memory is a weak niche for some while at the same time a strong reason for others to reach the higher rungs of success.
Human beings are gifted with a quality of remembering things which is called as Memory. The experiences that you have in your life are registered in your brain forever. As you move through Life, your mind is continuously observing the surroundings, clicking mental photographs and capturing the information from all around.
Having a good memory is almost an essential requirement of being successful. Imagine the fate of people who cannot remember simple things. Think about the pitiable condition of Amnesia patients who forget everything on account of an injury; their names, place they live and what they do.
Having a good memory is a quality to remember things perceived by any of the cognitive senses, which could be recalled when required, in a highly specialized and efficient way. To most of us, it seems to be a natural gift received by birth which cannot be improved upon. But quite on the contrary is true. Not only your Memory Power can be improved upon but it can also be made to work in an extremely efficient and specialized way. This is possible by understanding the Psychological Principles behind it and by learning to use the right techniques. It is important to understand the dynamics of this remembering and recalling system and how it works.
Read the following questions and think about them for a while. Try to find the answers from your own experiences.
- How do you remember things?
- How is your brain able to recall things in almost an instant?
- What is the first impression?
- What is short-term and long-term memory?
- What are the processes involved in storing and recalling a memory?
Memory is an amazing system which functions in almost a flawless way unless you decide to bang your head on the wall hard enough to lose it! Once you have learnt the nitty-gritties of it you’ll be able to strengthen it much more than you could imagine. This article is intended to provide you with a basic idea of how it works and help your Memory to serve you in a better and efficient way.
Importance of Memory –
Memory is a complex mental Process by which the experiences that one has, are registered safely in the brain only to be recalled later in the times of need or recognized when similar experiences repeat in one’s Life. Without the power of memory, our lives would come to a halt and we would lose our entire knowledge bank. It would be necessary then to start a new life every day or even every hour. There could be no education, learning or growth possible without memory. Without it we would not even be able to recognize ourselves, what to say of family and friends. We would be left at the hands of Fate and our life will become stagnant with no practical progress.
Is it possible to improve one’s memory by right education?
Yes, it is absolutely possible. With right techniques and strong perseverance, memory power can be drastically improved. There have been a lot of experiments in this area to prove this fact. Various Experiments were conducted on dogs, sparrows, fishes, monkeys, and dolphins and even simple worms that crawl which showed positive results. Notable Scientists like Pavlov and Dr. Leland have conducted a lot of research on memory power.
Memory is a Specialized Process
It may come as surprise to you that there is no specific muscle or compartment in your brains, which is dedicated to memory. Actually there is no such thing as memory inside us. People in specific fields develop a natural skill to remember the facts and figures demanded by their profession or field of work. A scientist might find it difficult to remember the stock prices, which comes natural to a trader or broker. A lot of people have researched in this zone that throws more light on the detail workings of the memory. It is a highly specialized and subjective process that works better and aligns itself with the areas of your interest or field of study. So it is imperative for you to choose and define the areas where you need your memory to help you. Some find it easy to remember the name of new people whereas for some, it is almost impossible.
This is the first step in building a memory. Events and experiences are registered in your brain, the very first time they happen to you. It is important that these first impressions are deep, vivid and elaborate. You have heard – “First impression is the Last impression”. This is true to some extent with the memory process. First impressions of your memory need to be effective for better recalling benefits. If something is learned half-heartedly how can you expect to remember it for a long time? It is necessary for a good memory to allow your mind to have a deep impression of the lessons. Learn slowly and be with the things for a while. This helps to pass the first step.
After the impression is made it becomes a part of your brain. Next step is to allow the information to be soaked in as deeply and completely as possible. Retention means to hold the information and making it a part of your permanent memory. In this part, we repeat and often re-learn. Re-read and learn the information by repeating the learning task. Repetition helps in the deepening the first impression.
Different people exhibit different retention powers owing to the difference in the quality of the first impression and ways of repetition. We all have faced the situation where we meet a person for the second time and unable to recall his name. This is due to a bad retention of memory.
Recalling is the process of bringing a stored memory to the surface of the conscious mind where it can be utilized. Good recalling is the criteria for a good memory. If you cannot recall something, you cannot use it. Recall is possible with right mental associations. Learn to associate the stored information with your existing knowledge base. Relate two facts which are similar to each other. Connect your past and present experiences of similar things. Highly vivid and efficient associations have a possibility of better and faster recall.
Recognition is the power to relate and match things and facts in the life with those in the memory. If you meet a known person and are unable to relate to him you are suffering from a lack of Recognition. Even if we recall something at the right time but cannot recognize it, the memory would be futile. Recognition is the last and most essential step for the memory to work properly.
All these steps are interconnected and allow our memories to function in a harmonious way. Understand and work upon these steps to improve your memory. Learn to register properly. Repeat it. Practice recalling and recognizing it. This is the secret.
Here are some tips to give you boost.
- Learn with a Purpose. A Powerful Purpose magnetizes your powers in a single direction and hence results in a better memory.
- Learn the power of Mental Association. Associate all new faces, events, things, experiences with the things you already know and can relate to. A person with a strange face is likely to be remembered.
- Read and learn with Concentration. The higher it is the better the resulting memory.
- Allow the first impressions to go Deeper.
- Higher interest levels create deeper impressions and result in long-term memory. Keep yourself enthusiastic while learning new things.
- Keep it Short and Summarized. Do not overlearn.
- Separate the times of repetitions by taking gaps. Continuous repetition is not going to help.
- While learning a new fact – Understand and Master the basic principle first and then add more branches as you go ahead.
- Repeat the Next Day. Research shows that a very large chunk of read information is forgotten in the next 24 hours.
- Contemplate during breaks.
- Start using the information you have learned during conversations. Talk about it.
- Learn the whole passage in one go unless it is too long. Research has proved that 240 lines of Poem/Prose can be learned and memorized by human brain without breaking.
- Use the power of Mnemonics. Google about them and Create your own.
- Practice recalling your information at different times. Offer yourself surprise tests.
- Master the art of Good Note-taking.
- Forget things that are not needed. Do not unnecessary trouble your brain by remembering every little detail about everything. Learn to categorize and sort important and useful things.
- Transform your brain into a well-organized library which could present the right information as soon as it is needed.
- Utilize more senses than just eyes and mouth while reading and learning. Learn to say it aloud or even touch it. Use your senses.
- Consciously Think about the topic mentally and compare it with other References.
- Trust your Memory completely.
- Stop using bookmarks while reading. Use your memory instead.
Courtesy: Maansik Dakshata