The colourful, loud and important September has come when Ganpati ji comes every year.
It is an important time, just like other important times for hindus; when Shiv ji met his other half (Shivratri), or Rama ji killed the ten-headed demon king of lanka, Ravana (Dusshera), or when Krishna ji shattered an earthen butter pot to pieces by just a tiny stone (Dahi-handi) and so on.
You got my point. Yes, I am talking about festivals.
Festivals are time for celebration! They were created specifically for mass celebration!
To spread, happiness, love, colours, and qualities.
What does celebration mean?
It means happiness. It means love. It means sweetness. Merriment.
What was the need?
Those who created festivals, knew long ago that we’d be needing them now. They knew the secret. This hid it somewhere, but somewhere, it can always be found, when needed. When the right times comes!
Those who can unlock the secret would reap the benefits.
What is master key to unlock the secret?
What is the secret hidden behind the master key?
Festivals are festivity. It’s time to be together. It’s time to forget worries. It’s time to have fun. Eat a lot of sweets. Isn’t it?
Yes, it is. All these actions represent happiness. Festivals were designed by masters. To inculcate the habit of happiness. To break the unconsciousness.
What is the most important thing to do?
Festivals help you to come out of your slumber. All occasions means one thing.
You only need the key. The key to unlock the secret. All festivals hide the secret.
The secret is one.
It is hidden everywhere.
If you uncover, you go beyond the tradition. You’ve now known the purpose behind the purpose. Then and only then, can you call yourself to be really celebrating. Otherwise, you just repeat a process.
Without the key, it is just a ritual.
We often forget the message and remember the story. Story goes farther, message is delicate.
Message is hidden for those who look for it.
It has always been available to the ones who are ready.
Ready to decode.
What is the key?
Deep contemplation about the festival and everything involved with it.
Manan, Maun tak jane ke liye
Let us go through the process once.
Let us understand the way of contemplation, with the help of the festival which starts day after tomorrow.
Let’s learn to celebrate the arrival of Ganapati ji.
Let us start with the form.
Contemplate on Ganapati’s statue.
What is hidden there?
Long trunk, large ears, a mouse, modak, long teeth, pot belly and so on.
- Trunk indicates depth, fierce focussed contemplation like thrusting a sword deep into the sand. Contemplate so hard that pierces the mind and reaches the source.
- Large ears means listening. We hardly listen. Listen first, Talk later. Listen more, talk less. By right listening, you can attain the truth.
- Mouse represents the mind, the mess. Think about the possibility of driving it rather than being driven at it’s whims and desires. There is a possibility that we could drive it. Sit on it and command. Left turn, right turn, change gears, slow down and so on.
- Long teeth means chewing longer. Adjustable. Improve your health. Eat healthy. Chew more, shovel less.
- Modak means mod in Sanskrit, which means bliss, happiness and joy. The happiness that is not temporary. This one is without cause, permanent and transforming experience.
- Pot belly represents Zen laughter, The Lion’s roar and belly laugh. Listen to jokes. Tell jokes. Spread happiness. Laugh from the belly. Get rid of plastic smiles. Live happily.
I leave the rest of the secrets in the statue for you to unveil. Contemplate.
Let’s learn some qualities from Ganapati’s story –
- Seva – Fought with his own father, the source of everything, bright silence, Shiva, to keep his commitment. To protect his mother. To obey the command of mother, until the very last moment.
- Commitment – Continuously and unerringly wrote everything that Vyasa dictated, Mahabharata, Vedas and so on.
- Power – Param Yogi, owns riddhi and siddhi, ashta siddhis, all the powers that humans can imagine, but still, completely egoless. Rides ego, the contrast mind and drives it.
- Accessible and Available – Only god that can be made with any material whatsoever; clay, plastic, stone, food, flowers and anything you else can imagine. Every action begins with him. The secret lies in the name. Gana + Pati. God of common man, God of masses, God of everybody, always accessible, available.
- Art – Plays Veena. Music is hidden in the silence. Once you tune yourself with the Divine, the real music starts. Tune yourself.
- Devotion – Worshiped and circumambulated his parents. Parents are above all. Parents are first teachers. Parents are Primary. Devotion is highest thing to understand.
I leave the rest of points in the story for you. Contemplate.
Other stories and myths.
Contemplate on them.
The more you contemplate, the more you increase your capacity to understand. A time comes when the one who contemplates, disappears.
Then only Ganapathi remains!
This is celebration!
Celebration means when the three, merge back into the One. Celebrator, Celebrated and Celebration. Celebration means love, peace and joy together.
This is the true and core happiness. Without this, satisfaction never comes.
Celebrate every festival. Celebrate every occasion and make it instrumental for your happiness and growth. This is the purpose behind the purpose.
What you can do?
Go eco-friendly. Find the true purpose and live upto it. Find the meaning and celebrate. Donate. Help people. Celebrate. Be happy. Turn within. Offer your worries, negativity and problems. Pray for love, peace and joy.
Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
Om Ganapataye Namah!